Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif addresses federal cabinet meeting in Islamabad on August 20, 2026. — Screengrab via Geo News

PM Shehbaz expresses displeasure over officials’ buggy ride on Independence Day

by Pakistan News
0 comment 0 views


Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif addresses federal cabinet meeting in Islamabad on August 20, 2026. — Screengrab via Geo News
  • Islamabad IGP, chief commissioner informed.
  • Officials rode carriage to August 14 ceremony.
  • PM directs civil servants to maintain simplicity.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has expressed displeasure over Islamabad officials riding a horse-drawn carriage during Independence Day celebrations in Islamabad on August 14.

Official sources said that the Islamabad inspector general of police (IGP) and chief commissioner were formally informed in writing of the premier’s displeasure over the incident by the Joint Secretary (Discipline).

The letter, issued with reference to the prime minister, said that such personal display was contrary to the principles of public service. It also conveyed PM Shehbaz’s directives to civil servants to avoid such conduct and maintain simplicity.

The prime minister’s directives came days after a video of the two officials riding in a horse-drawn carriage at the Independence Day parade went viral on social media.

The footage showed the Islamabad IGP and chief commissioner arriving at the parade in the carriage, drawing criticism online.

However, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi later defended the two officials, saying they were not at fault during the episode.

Clarifying the incident in a post on X, the interior minister said that the horse carriage had originally been arranged for the chief guest but had to be used by the officials due to unavoidable circumstances.

According to the security czar, the chief guest and he had been delayed due to a meeting between the president and prime minister.

The two Islamabad officials were then instructed to commence the programme as the public had been waiting since 5pm, he said.

Naqvi maintained that both officials were against commencing the event in the absence of the chief guest and the minister; however, they proceeded after being instructed to do so “for the convenience of the public”.




You may also like

Pakistan Live News
Pakistan’s Most Trusted, Source of News. Pakistan Live News is Pakistan’s most trusted website for breaking news and key developments.

Newsletter

Latest News

@2022 – Pakistan Live News – All Right Reserved.